- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°. Butter an 8½x4½” loaf pan; line with parchment paper, leaving a generous overhang on long sides. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat VCO, ¼ cup butter, and 1½ cups sugar until pale and fluffy, 5–7 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions; beat until mixture is very light and doubled in volume, 5–8 minutes. Add vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with coconut milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape batter into prepared pan and run a spatula through the center, creating a canal. Sprinkle with coconut and remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake cake, tenting with foil if coconut browns too much before cake is done (it should be very dark and toasted), until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 70–80 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cake cool in pan 20 minutes before turning out.